Saturday, February 28, 2015

Greetings! Thanks for taking a look!


Welcome to my new blog!
Here at Armchair Demiurge, I'll be discussing a number of topics, but mostly traditional Roleplaying games and their design.
There will be occasional digressions on history, current affairs, religion and mythology, science and technology, the internet and what it does to us, or whatever my current obsession might be. Chances are they will mostly tie back into RPGing though, cause that's the nature of the beast.

D&D and RPGs

I mostly play 3E DnD with a group of friends. I run game pretty frequently, and it never ceases to challenge me.
I love traditional RPGs. They provide a vehicle for storytelling, challenge and catharsis unmatched by any other medium, and I am Chasing that Dragon. I feel that RPGS are almost NEVER played to their potential though. Learning how to tap that potential is the main purpose of Armchair Demiurge at this point.
DnD is my main frame of reference. Everyone who plays DnD knows that it sucks, but the magic is in there and you know it and love it anyway like a weird, dysfunctional family.
A lot of my posts will be proposals for techniques to help design or run a game, and hopefully, followups on how the proposal actually worked.

TL;DR
I tend to explain my reasoning any ideas with lots of background explanations and metaphors and all that. And when I finish an article, I will notice that the actual point is maybe a fraction of what I've written. If I catch myself doing this, I will include a TL;DR summary at the bottom of the post. Because dammit, I want to share my ideas and if I gotta cut the fat to get it down , so be it.

Coming up next: Dreams of an Ideal System

No comments:

Post a Comment